Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What Happens When Toddlers Zone Out With An iPad?



Today’s Wall Street Journal (and other publications) are running a story by Ben Worthen about the effects of the iPad on young children (ages 2 to 4). 

I noted with interest that, although the iPad has only been on the market a year or so, more than half of American children have access to one.  Talk about market penetration!

Having two grandchildren with iPad access, and owning one myself, I feel connected to the idea that this can be a good learning tool.  I also have a long history of opposing letting young persons watching television.  I took my TV out for 15 years when my children were growing up. They watched plenty at other people’s homes, and at their grandparents (under very close supervision) , but at home, it was family time and creative time.

I also believe that young children learn as much with their hands as their heads at early ages, so feeling and touching toys (but better yet – real things) is much better for them than lectures on topics they know nothing about.  At least with the iPad they can touch, and connect action with reaction.  And be interactive.  But, as the article states, too much of anything, even the iPad, can be a bad thing for “certain children”.  The article stops well short of condemning iPad use, but puts up a warning to watch for “over use” and  zoning out while using the iPad.  Or over-use to avoid bedtime and so forth. 

I have enjoyed the good designs of some iPad Apps for children, they seem to be updated versions of old games I used to play as a child.  And they provide some positive reinforcement that we used to provide for ourselves (pride in doing something, just for the sake of doing it). Which is better? 

The article mentions an App I had not heard of  “Martha Speaks”, and says that simple testing has shown that 5 year old's made a 27% gain on vocabulary tests after playing with this App. 

Your comments ?

No comments:

Post a Comment