Saturday, August 3, 2013

Tile App -- Soon To Be The World's Largest Lost & Found



Link to the website and video.

Tile is a new – not yet shipping – device. But you can pre-order it now.  It could be a big hit.  For about $19 it is like a key-tag (but can be put on anything) and, with an iPhone (or equal) you can find the item with the tag.  Perfect for locating misplaced car keys.  Or even your laptop if someone accidentally picks it up and thinks it is now theirs. 

Watch the movie on the website above to get the story.  I didn’t think much of this device when I read about it a few weeks ago, but my opinion is slowing changing.  It could be quite useful for purses, briefcases and other things that are worth finding if they get “misplaced”.  Could be hidden in linings of these devices as a kind of “find me” device that a dishonest person might not realize is bugged for location recovery.  Using other people’s use of the same app puts everyone in a sort of loop to locate items that are out of range of your smart phone. But in range of someone else's smart phone.

It might have helped if I had had this Tile on my iPod Touch a year ago.  I left on an airplane as I was exiting late at night, and was not able to recover because they would not let me back on the plane without a "new ticket". To top it off the flight attendants wouldn't go in and search for it for me.  Long story, but perhaps, just perhaps, this would have gotten my iPod back.  Tiny items like the iPod Touch are easy to slip in seat pockets and be just about invisible.  They are even smaller than smart phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment