Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Walk In The Park? Walking and Running APP’s for Smart Phones



There are quite a few walking or running apps for your iPhone (or other brand).  A friend showed me hers last week, and I was fascinated.  We talked for 3.3 miles, it kept track of the distance using GPS.  And showed the route, and time, and calculated the “speed in miles per hour” I suppose. 

I searching for that exact app, I ran into some others worth a look   Walk Tracker Pro ($2.99 in the iTunes store) has a fabulous user rating.  265 reviews and still has 4.8 stars out of 5.  That’s heavy duty.  It appears to be a very complete APP, telling you, perhaps verbally, what landmarks you are passing – and allows you to listen to radio at the same time. 


Walk with Map, My Walk appears to be another good one.  Free.  It pulls up a map of where you are walking and you can see it plot your walk in red, down the sidewalks or streets.  It says it is a GPS pedometer.  Nice touch.

Sports Tracker app has less reviews, but the quality rating is still 4.5 star, and it is free.  It certainly has a nice home screen, very informative and big numbers for those with poor eyesight. Appears to put a satellite map on the home screen – the exact place where you are walking -- of course. 

There are 130 APP’s in the iTunes store for walking or running.  So there is no shortage of choices.  Let me know which ones you are using (just hit the comment button below) and tell me if you like it (or the opposite). 


No comments:

Post a Comment