Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Summer Tip for Garden Hoses



 


Having spent a lifetime being somewhat aggravated by the rather clumsy system of turning my exterior hose spigots on and off (twisting the metal handles), I decided to try something new this summer.  There are a few brands of "easy shut offs" --- little devices you install on the threaded spigot and then control the on-off by twisting a comfortable lever, not risking knuckle banging with the conventional twist-faucet-handle.  

Also, I think it would be less wear and tear on the faucet this way, since the faucet resides outdoors, year round, and is not always well manufactured for high usage.   The pictured unit (above) I found at Lowes for $5 --- and it is zinc with some plastic parts.  Wal-Mart has something similar for $3.57 which has a nice, shiny chrome appearance, (but says it is also zinc). The Wal-Mart unit has only a plastic shut off lever, no other plastic parts. 

I can say I am very pleased with both the Lowes and the Wal-Mart cutoffs, they don’t appear to restrict water flow when “full on”, they just offer a very convenient way to cut the water on or off fast.  No more knuckle banging.

Please comment if you have had a different experience or a better suggestion.  Note: a neighbor told me I should open this new valve in winter, or remove it, and, of course, cover the faucet with insulated cover (which I now do anyway).

The Lowes item  Yardsmith Restricted-Flow Water Shut-Off
Item #: 228729 |  Model #: 8822   

Both items might be available on Amazon as well, I didn't check.  


No comments:

Post a Comment