Monday, October 19, 2015

Wal-Mart Steps Up On Line Business



News reports in business magazines said last week that Wal-Mart will be spending massive money next year to update and modernize stores and beef up their on line ordering to compete more with Amazon.

Tonight, by accident, I stumbled into Wal-Mart's improved on line ordering and found it greatly improved. I needed to get a special young girl’s bike helmet for my granddaughter’s birthday.  I wanted a special color but no logos of movie characters. Amazon only had 2 that came anywhere close to the specifications I needed.  Wal-Mart’s website had 240 different bike helmets, and many were for children.  They blew Amazon away in that category for me tonight. I found one that fit the ideal specification.

Then, ordering was almost easier than Amazon.  I had a 2003 email and password in my password book, and tried it, Wal-Mart still had it in their computer and connected me to check out right away.  That’s rarely true for 12 year old log-ins and passwords on other websites. Then, WM charged no freight if I would pick it up at my very-near-by Wal-Mart in 48 hours (which I could do very easily and WM mailing it would miss the party date).  Then, WM took PayPal for payment, that was fast.  On top of that, they offered to text me when it hit the store for pickup if I would share by cell phone number.  But, fortunately, that was not a requirement, and I didn’t give it to them for fear of future advertising text messages?  I was checked out with no information other than PayPal and which Wal-Mart I wanted to use for the pickup.  That’s slick.

Considering the depth and potential of Wal-Mart’s distribution, which probably rivals that of Amazon, and Wal-Mart’s vast product selection (much more than in stores) they might become a serious player in the new world of “retailing”.

No comments:

Post a Comment