Friday, March 2, 2012

New Photo App for the iPhone -- Awesome



http://www.awesomize.com/  (the new app website for greater understanding)

A news story in Feb 29, Wall Street Journal.  A Photo App That Makes “Awesome” a Verb  by Katherine Boehret

Katherine really applauds this new effort, and the App is free.  She says it is light years ahead of existing iPhone camera app’s, in features and benefits.  It also has unique video capability.

1. Video : starts 5 seconds BEFORE you push “record” --- so if a child is doing something interesting, and you are fumbling, it is recording for 5 seconds before you push “record”  so you get the beginning of the smile, not the middle or end, for example.

2. It offers other adjustments found in Camera +  but seems to improve upon them, (and camera + is $2.00)  Examples in the story were pretty impressive.

3. A big problem for most of us is, the iPhone camera takes a decent picture – but when it e-mails it or uploads it to Facebook, it cuts the megapixels and quality for ease of transmission.   This app has some solutions, read the whole story above.

4. It offers many other nice features, you can set it to automatically upload a full sized photo to the “cloud” not long after you take it, and or put that photo in a file-saving and sharing website called “SmugMug”  I had not heard of this site, but I will check it out.  It offers $5 a month or $40 a year for unlimited storage of photos , full resolution type.  http://www.smugmug.com/  

5. If you order up a year’s supply of SmugMug when you download the app – you get it for half price – that might be well worth looking into … free storage is risky, as we all know – I lost all my photos on free storage with Sony, they closed their photo site with little or no notice and didn’t send us our photos back.  Other such free sites could do likewise over the coming years, because. when they are broke, they are broke, and operations will cease – gone will be our photos. 

6. Therefore, I cheerfully pay Google a few dollars a year for “extra storage” of my photos, I want them to have an incentive to keep the big-cloud-in-the-sky open for business.  I use Picasa.  But will look into SmugMug very soon.

8. I will probably download this new Awesome App to my I Pad and I Touch later today.  IF  YOU TRY IT, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment