Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Flu Shots for 2012 - 2013



This will be a short post.  Flu Shots are available and everyone (in my opinion) should get one.  I was not able to get one earlier because I had the sniffles.  But I got one tonight at Walgreens (no charge with whatever Medicare insurance provides) and discovered something new:  Over 65 you are now recommended to get the HD version of the shot, which is more powerful.

I was not aware of that. It is new this year.  It is “optional”, although recommended for those over 65.  I took the HD version and have had no side effects (so far) and they said I wouldn’t have any.  By going at nearly 10 PM, I didn’t have to wait at all, and had an excellent person administer the shot.

I have had pneumonia shot (once in a lifetime I think) and earlier this year I had the shingles shot (also once in a lifetime I think).  Shingles vaccine was very scare at times this year and last, but is now available in decent quantities, but might still have to be special ordered (it has a very short shelf life at the pharmacy, and it must be in a freezer I think – and transported to the pharmacy in a freezer equipped truck).

Stay healthy, share any of your experiences with shots by commenting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment