Friday, February 22, 2013

This Year Flu Shot Only 9 % Effective For Over 65



Today’s newspaper says that this year the Flu vaccine is only 9 % effective for those over 65.  Which is unusual.  Normally it is 56% effective.  I got a double sized shot this year, since Walgreens offered that as an option – but only for those over 65.  They told me that it was more potent, don’t know if by quantity or it covered more types of Flu. But she said they were required to ask those over 65 if they wanted to step up to the new recommended dose.

Many older people are getting the Flu this year, and it is, as we know, much more serious for those over 65.  I read all the preventative stories, and washing your hands often and getting a Flu shot are about the only defenses – other than “staying away from other people”. 

I think I have truly only had the Flu once, 10 years ago, but it was a mess.  Very high fever, and grounded me in bed for a long time.  I didn’t go to the hospital, and I don’t think the doctor even recommended my coming into his office (for fear of exposing others?).  He treated it over the phone with call in prescriptions.  But not many things work against it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment