Friday, July 5, 2013

Great New APP called "Capture" For Mobile Phone Movie Making



How did I miss this APP ?  My son in law told me about it yesterday.  Capture YouTube, in the iTune’s App store (and also Android I think) is free, and gives my iPhone a great new capability.  The problem with the standard iPhone offering (which is a movie option inside its built in camera app) is sharing it.  You can email an iPhone standard app movie to anyone directly, but there are two problems with that.  First it has to process the video to (I think) reduce the size to something that can be emailed (reduced file size). And then the person receiving it may, or may not, be able to open the video file.  And if they do, and don’t then delete the email, it soaks up memory on their device until deleted. 

Enter Capture App.  It has its own video camera with image enhanced color option, image stabilization option and even allows you to use the on-board flash as a steady filming “light” for low-light situations.  After you take the video, you can send it “up” to YouTube (helps if you have a YouTube account) as one of your “managed videos”.  You can restrict viewing to just those you email the link to (called unlisted), or open it to the world, or restrict it just to yourself (called private).  Or share it with Facebook or something like that.

The upload to YouTube is reasonably fast (better if you are on wi-fi) and after that the recipient gets a clean link to YouTube and can view the video (in 720 HD) without worries about compatibility to their computing device, or wasting their personal memory space. Note that, your recipient can probably send the link on to their friends.  But it won’t be open to the public if you code it as “unlisted”.

A tip --  you can allow (or not allow) this APP look at all your old “my photos” stills and or “videos” that reside on your iPhone ---  and possibly upload them.  I declined that, I didn’t want to share my entire photo files with YouTube.  But you can turn it off and on as you need it.  For the time being I will only shoot and upload new videos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment