Thursday, July 4, 2013

Time Management



It has been said you can’t manage time – and everyone has the same amount of it, rich or poor. You can only manage yourself “relative to time”.  That is, make yourself a better user of time.  Make your minutes count for more or better.

That was brought home to me today.  I bought a personal use item, something I use every day, and I estimated the new product saved me about 3 minutes a day.  Since I use it every day, that’s 365 x 3 minutes a year.  That works out to saving me 18.5 hours a year. If you work 8 hours a day, that’s more than 2 work-days of time saved.  Could my calculations be wrong?  Check my math.

Assuming I am right, who wouldn’t want to save 18.5 hours a year?  Trimming one's wasted time by just 3 minutes a day is a huge saving.  Be that your commute to work or whatever.  I always lived only 2 stop signs, or one stop light from my work.  That allowed me to go home for lunch most days.  I knew that benefit, but now I think I saved more like 15 minutes a day from normal commutes by others.  That’s 60 hours a year, an entire work-week of time saved.  And that assumes only 240 days of going to work.

Your thoughts?   

No comments:

Post a Comment