Sunday, August 3, 2014

$3 A Month Cell Phone Service ?



A French company, Iliad, has cracked a big market in France with the equivalent of a $3 a month cell phone service.  Competitors are scrambling, many have met the price.   Now they are seeking to buy part or all of T-Mobile in the USA to expand here.  Already T-Mobile is the leading price cutter here, and Verizon has lowered some prices to stay competitive.

Illiad thinks the US cell phone monthly pricing is way too high; I couldn’t agree more.  Illiad would like to cut costs and do away with paper monthly statements and things like that to get the price down.  I am not sure that appeals to me, but certainly my total cell-data package is too pricey for what it must cost Verizon to service my device(s).  And I don’t even get cell signal in every room in my house, only near some windows. 

Average costs of USA cell phones today is $47 a month, compared to about $30 average in France. Sprint is talking with T-Mobile about merger, and is thus not showing much interest in Illiad’s idea to buy a big percentage of the company. “Start small and disrupt something big” is Illiad’s philosophy.  Source  Wall Street Journal  

No comments:

Post a Comment