Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Google Maps Returns to iPhone In A Big Way



Walter Mossberg, one of the most respected technology experts, and Wall Street Journal personal technology contributor, reports today on the return of Google Maps to the iPhone.  As many know, Apple did not install Google maps as standard on its new iPhone, instead they put in an Apple version that many found to be inferior (but had some features the Google maps did not, voice directions when used as a GPS). 

Now Google has released a free APP for the iPhone that restores all that everyone liked, and more.  In fact, Mossberg says, for now, it is better than Google maps on their own Android devices. It has a cleaner interface and so on.  Google he found out, took this opportunity to completely rewrite some of the APP and so, for now, it has improvements beyond what is available on the Android phones.

I plan to try this new APP on an iPhone in 2013, but suspect I will still prefer Garmin for in-car navigation.  Garmin is an old friend, easy to program; I can bring it in the house and program all my destinations at leisure the day before I go on a trip.  Over the years I have talked to a dozen people with GPS built into their vehicles, and they almost all have trouble programming them, or remembering how they once programmed them. They all dislike sitting in the driveway and wasting travel time doing that programming.  I once had a built in system in a car myself, and after the novelty wore off, I didn’t use it much and I did find it difficult to remember all the programming steps. 

But, with the portable Garmin, I find it so easy and mostly accurate --- particularly on my favorite feature – the exact time of expected arrival.  And I also like the speed limit icon to remind me what the speed limit is, I no longer took at the posted road signs, I just go by the GPS. Lately, however, Garmin seems to be less accurate in finding an appropriate route, so I will upgrade that device in 2013 as well. Maybe a newer model will have newer maps inside. And better logic.  But, someday, maybe the iPhone sitting on the dash (see prior Post on dashboard friction mats) will be the preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment