Wednesday, April 8, 2015

New Thinking on Sinus Infections



From Wall Street Journal April 7, 2015 

Being a sinus, or pollen allergy-prone person, I thought this was an interesting article.  The main takeaways for me were: 

1.     about 20% of all antibiotics prescribed are for sinusitis
2.     that is probably not a good thing since only a small percent of sinusitis is bacterial
3.     treating with antibiotics reduces a persons ability, longer term to benefit from antibiotics in critical situations (i.e. immunity sets in).
4.     netti pot (or alternative device) can be quite effective in sinus cases

Although I have known about netti pot saline (sinus rinse) cleansing concept for years, I had never tried it until my dentist encouraged me to do this once a day.  And, I purchased the Neilmed  sinus rinse kit.  See this link:


It is incredibly well thought out, easy to use, and also recommended for CPAP patients. Needs distilled water, and microwave to move the distilled water a little above room temperature.  The sinus rinse product is pre-measured in tear off packs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment