Thursday, December 10, 2015

Transferring Photos From a Smart Phone to a PC (for backup or other use)




Not a very unique name, but Photo Transfer App is one of my newest (old) App friends.  I had it on some prior Apple devices and thought it was not working correctly and was slow.  But the new version is worth writing a BLOG post about.

First, what is it?  It wirelessly transfers photos from you iPhone (or your Android, I think) to a “save file” on your normal Windows PC (or your Apple iMac).  This assures you both a backup for your phone photos, so now you can delete recklessly, and not worry about losing some favorite.  It is always on your PC for printing, or sharing. 

How does it do it?  It does it by being on the same WiFi signal (router) as your PC .. it flies through the air (the Wi-Fi air) to your PC and into the correct saving file location.  You can then open the photos in Picasa (a free photo organizer and one of my favorites). From there, printing or emailing is very easy.  As is building slide shows to share with friends and family.

What makes it special (and with hundreds of 5-star ratings by users) ?  Here are some of the key things

1.     it moves (copies)  the photos fast – last night I moved 3,000 iPhone photos to my PC in 20 minutes or less.  That seems to be about as fast as a wired connection. AND – photos move at full quality, not diminished for ease of transfer or “bandwidth conservation”.  Not all backup programs save photos at full quality.
2.     it moves the photos and remembers what it moved (copied) , and so next time will not move it again.  You can move all photos, or select the phones one at a time to be moved. Or other options, such as move and delete from the phone.
3.     It is easy, always ready to go to work for you whenever you like, and the phone is in range that that Wi-Fi. 
4.     I think it works better than manual transfers using USB type wire connect which always gave me trouble (Windows 7) by saying it was done, when it was only half done.  And moving folders and keeping up with folder names was a minor nightmare. I will probably never move photos with a wire (manually) again.

I have an HP “instant ink” printer that will take photos wirelessly from the iPhone and so now printing 8x10 photos from the phone is so easy I do 40 or more a week (no charge for the ink, HP replaces it by mail .. I don’t even have to order it). Now with the transfer/save problem solved, and printing made easy, my phone is just so much more useful as a camera.  

No comments:

Post a Comment